Level 5 of the project management maturity model focuses on continuous process improvement or optimization. Consider a project you have either worked on or found through research that could have benefited from the optimization of one of its processes. Describe the project and give some suggestions for how a process could have been improved. Your initial post must be 200 words and be supported by at least one professional or academic source.
There are a variety of areas in which an organization can improve its project management processes. One area is the improvement of project management technology. While MS Project is the most common project management software package, other options are available. An organization should evaluate each option before determining which one is best suited to meet its project management strategy.
For this discussion, research at least three enterprise-level project management software packages and select one (preferably one that hasn’t already been selected by any of your peers in the forum). Provide a link to the software package you selected, and compare and contrast its features to MS Project, explaining how each might support and optimize the following:
- Project status reporting
- Project stakeholder management
- Project schedule and assigned resources
must be 200 words and be supported by at least one professional or academic source.
Read the Quasar communications case. Within Quasar, there are several sources of frustration for the project manager, including the fact that the marketing department has the ability to cancel projects based on its own opinion of their value. If you were the project manager, how would you convince the marketing department that your projects are aligned with organizational strategy and are therefore important, even when they are low-profile or seemingly insignificant? Must be 200 words and be supported by at least one professional or academic source.
Evaluating the Project Management Maturity of LGS
LGS has recently experienced a few problems related to project management within the organization. They have hired you to take over the company’s project management in hopes that you can help them clean up their processes and allow the organization to achieve better results from its projects.
Begin by reading the case study “Is it Information Systems that We Need.” (Links to an external site.), which is found in the Case Studies in Project, Program, and Organizational Project Management eBook. Then, address the following:
Part 1: Audit
- Briefly summarize the characteristics of each of the PMMM levels.
- Determine the level of PMMM that LGS currently exhibits. Provide evidence to support this classification.
Part 2: Benchmark
- Identify three companies that LGS can use for benchmarking in project management maturity.
- Describe the quality programs each company has implemented to progress in project management maturity.
- Select one of the programs from the above three companies that would be most appropriate for LGS to adopt as a best practice to help meet LGS’s customer needs, business goals, and/or types of technology solutions.
- Describe at least one type of organizational strategy that the program you selected could support.
Part 3: Develop a Plan
- Develop a plan with at least three additional steps LGS can take to progress in the project management maturity model. Your plan should incorporate your findings from above.
- Describe the results LGS can expect to see once it has taken the three additional steps you have recommended.
- The Final Paper
- Must be 2400 words in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other credible sources. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Writing Center.